Planning Permit Applications & Information

For assistance with forms, payment, or submittal,  please contact us at 360-825-3593 Monday through Friday between  9 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., or by email:  Permit Department Email

Please submit completed application forms and applicable checklists  with the required plans and documents. 

*Important - Follow the EPermits- Electronic Document Requirements and File Naming Convention handout for ALL permit and project applications



Developing your property can potentially be a complicated process. In order to help property owners and potential developers understand requirements, code information, and costs, the City may require a pre-application meeting prior to submittal of any development application. Need more information? Click link below. *Effective May 12, 2022, the city will be conducting pre-application meetings twice monthly until further notice*

        Preapplication Meeting Request Application Form


Informational Handouts

Residential Setback Requirements & Fences

Environmental (SEPA) Review

Purpose of Checklist

The State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA), Chapter 43.21C RCW, requires all governmental agencies to consider the environmental impacts of a proposal before making a determination on whether there is no environmental impact (determination of non-significance) or whether things should be required to mitigate environmental impacts (mitigated determination of non-significance).


An environmental impact statement (EIS) must be prepared for all proposals with probable significant adverse impacts. The purpose of this checklist is to provide information to help you and the agency identify impacts from your proposal (and to reduce or avoid impacts from the proposal, if it can be done) and to help the agency decide whether an EIS is required. The SEPA checklist is regulated by the state Department of Ecology and is a method by which to examine at all environmental effects including soil, air, wildlife as well as noise concerns.

Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU)

Accessory Dwelling Units are habitable living units added to, created within, or detached from a single-family dwelling. These units contain facilities for living, sleeping, eating, cooking and sanitation. Accessory Dwelling Units are commonly called "mother-in-law" apartments or "ADU's."

The city allows ADU's in its residential zones as long as they meet the criteria of Enumclaw Municipal Code Chapter 19.34 (Accessory Dwelling Units). Please refer to the city's ADU criteria and permitting requirements when planning your project.
Comprehensive Plan Map / Zoning Map Amendments
Every property in the city has both a Zoning and Comprehensive Plan Land Use designation. These separate designations are visually represented on maps that serve to direct the character of development throughout the city and help support the community’s larger development objectives. The Comprehensive Plan Land Use and Zoning designations work in concert to provide clear direction as to how property may be developed and to direct land uses to the most appropriate areas within the city.
Conditional Use Permit
The city is divided into zoning districts. Each zone has a list of permitted uses (allowed outright) and a list of conditional uses (allowed only with special approval by the Hearing Examiner). A Conditional Use Permit allows for a listed conditional use to occur on a specific property. For example, in the Residential-2 zone, single family dwellings are permitted outright, but duplexes are allowed only by conditional use permit.

Tree Care & Landscaping

Except for routine care, maintenance, or stump removal, no person may plant, remove or otherwise disturb any tree or shrub located within or overhanging any public right-of-way within the city without filing an application for a no-fee tree permit from the City of Enumclaw.

Historic and Cultural Preservation

Interested in discovering more about historic and cultural preservation?
The King County Historic Preservation Program and 4CULTURE are helpful resources.
King County Historic Preservation -  information can be found at the King County Historic Preservation Program Page

Interested in learning about applying for landmark designation? 
Contact King County Landmarks Coordinator Sarah Steen ( / 206-477-7976) for additional information.

4CULTURE provides funding and support for the cultural work that makes King County vibrant. There are many grant categories, with some specifically for historic preservation.

Preservation Special Projects grants support activities that help preserve our historic buildings and spaces in King County including neighborhood surveys, landmark nominations, building assessments, planning projects, hiring experts, advocacy efforts, and more. 4Culture is also interested in projects that employs technology to reach audiences new to historic preservation.

Landmarks Capital grants support brick-and-mortar projects to rehabilitate buildings and sites that are designated historic landmarks.

Contact 4CULTURE's Dana Phelan ( / 206-263-1604) to learn more about these grants, or for more information about resources and incentives for historic preservation. 

The Alliance Review - A Quarterly Journal ofthe National Alliance ofPreservation Commissions2021, No. 3